Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Loom repair

The part of the loom that I was sure I would have to replace sooner rather than later did break soon.
I can't afford a nice piece of maple to make the part I need so I took a few pieces of old pallet wood from work and made do. As you can see, the original would have also had some holes where "spindles" would have been inserted. These hold the spools of warp thread while you wind on the warp. since my wood is a soft wood, rather than a hard wood, I made the piece thicker than the original.And, since it was such a nice evening out in the garden, I went out there to do part of the work.
Power tools do help speed up the woodworking, but the old handtools are very pleasant to use. No noise, and,well... they are hand tools.
The new piece is shaping up nicely, but that is definitely enough for today. Piggy and dog also want some attention as well.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really looks like a lot of work but it sounds as if you know what you are doing. Good work! Ulf

Lars said...

Ulf, I'm not sure I know what I'm doing, I just pretend I have a plan and go with it;) I should be able to get it attached and begin warping on this evening, or tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting it up and running again. The next repair can wait until I run out of warp again.