Saturday, July 31, 2010

Out with the old.

The complaint was that this old wooden clothes drying rack was staining the white t-shirts and underwear. I'm not surprised, it has been around collecting dust and grime for years.
I was going to just build a new based on the old one but looked around and found these plans.
The wood dimensions seemed a bit flimsy to me though. I used 5/8" dowels and 3/4x1 1/2" supports. I also decided to not go to the all the trouble of shouldering the dowels and just did everything with 5/8" holes. I figure that if the supports slide along the dowels too much I can always pin them with 1/4 pegs later. I also used 4' rather than 3 foot dowels.
It was a little tricky getting all the parts in the right places. But I finally got it right.
Now I have a fresh new and much roomier drying rack for the laundry room.
I just need to wash some laundry now, hang it to dry instead of using the machine, and watch those energy savings pile up.


2 comments:

Rita said...

Wow Lars, die Veränderungen am Trockengestell haben richtig Pfiff. Klasse! :)

Lars said...

Danke Rita. Meine Projekten würden doch leichter gehen wenn ich nur erinnerte; jedes Mal ein Werkzeug benutzt ist soll es nachdem immer zurück wo es hingehört gesetzt werden. Ich verbringe zu viel Zeit nach Werkzeuge zu suchen.